At the time of writing this post, I’ve been on the ketogenic diet for over five years and logged over 250 blood ketone tests in an effort to estimate the effects of food and ingredients on my ketosis, including those in Epic Meat bars.
Epic Meat bars are a really interesting addition to the protein bar trend, with meat as the primary source of protein instead of soy or whey, they had my attention pretty quickly. The only question for us keto dieters is just how keto friendly are these Epic Meat bars? In this post I'll evaluate Epic Meat bars, give them keto friendly grades, and see how they stack up to similar keto friendly snacks!
Savage Fuel Keto Friendly Grades:
- A: Completely compatible, positive or no impact on ketosis.
- B: Highly compatible, but don't go too crazy.
- C: Moderately compatible, be mindful and limit intelligently.
- D: Barely compatible, detrimental to ketosis and not recommended.
- F: Not compatible, overdo it just a little and kiss your ketosis goodbye.
Keto Friendly Grading Factors:
- Net Carbs per Serving: How many carbs are in this thing?
- Net Carbs per 100 calories: Since serving sizes often vary significantly, a net carb per 100 calorie ratio is a more consistent measure of keto-friendliness than net carbs per serving. Lower ratios are also an indicator of higher fat content because fat has more calories per gram than protein and carbohydrates.
- Sugar: Sugars have a higher glycemic index and larger negative impact on ketosis than other carbohydrates.
- Hidden Carbs: Hidden carbohydrates are based on the caloric values and glycemic indexes of ingredients sometimes classified as fibers or sugar alcohols.
- Easy to Overeat: Some foods are easy to over-eat and require extra willpower to limit overeating which is an important factor to consider.
- Nutritional Density: Foods that are relatively high in net carbs per 100 calories but are high in nutrition per calorie can still be worth eating like broccoli and cauliflower.
Epic Meat Bars Keto Friendly Grades:
Overall factors: No hidden carbs, not hard to avoid overeating, and decent nutritional density.
- Bison Bacon Cranberry: F-
7g Net carb per 130 calorie 37g bar
5.4g Net carbs per 100 calories (Red++)
- Beef Apple Bacon: D-
4g Net carb per 140 calorie 43g bar
2.9g Net carbs per 100 calories (Orange)
- Chicken Sriracha: B+
1g Net carb per 100 calorie 43g bar
1g Net carbs per 100 calories (Green!)
- Venison Sea Salt Pepper: D
2g Net carb per 80 calorie 43g bar
2.5g Net carbs per 100 calories (Orange)
- Smoked Maple Bacon: F-
6g Net carb per 150 calorie 43g bar
4g Net carbs per 100 calories (Red+)
- Turkey Almond Cranberry: F-
8g Net carb per 130 calorie 43g bar
6.2g Net carbs per 100 calories (Red+++)
- Lamb Currant Mint: F-
11g Net carb per 130 calorie 43g bar
8.5g Net carbs per 100 calories (Red+++++)
- Wild Boar Bacon: F-
9g Net carb per 150 calorie 43g bar
6g Net carbs per 100 calories (Red+++)
- Chicken Sesame BBQ: F-
5g Net carb per 120 calorie 43g bar
4.2g Net carbs per 100 calories (Red+)
- Beef Habanero Cherry: F-
10g Net carb per 150 calorie 43g bar
6.7g Net carbs per 100 calories (Red+++)
- Smoked Salmon Maple: F
4g Net carb per 120 calorie 37g bar
3.3g Net carbs per 100 calories (Red)
Epic Meat Bars Keto Friendly Conclusion:
Epic Meat bars have a lot of keto friendly potential, but besides their Chicken Sriracha bar, they're all far from keto friendly with added fruits and other sugary sweeteners. I have to recommend you stay away from Epic Meat bars because most of them are very high in net carbs per 100 calories, especially when there are a ton of other keto friendly savory snacks and sweet treats out there.
Let's compare Epic Meat bars to some similar keto friendly snacks:
Epic Meat Bars vs F-Bombs, ChocoPerfection, Nui Cookies, and Keto Bars
As you can see when we compare Epic Meat bars with the best keto friendly snacks and treats out there by net carbs per 100 calories, which is the most consistent indicator of keto friendliness, their not in the same ballpark. So in conclusion I recommend going with similar but much more keto friendly options like ChocoPerfection, Keto Carne beef jerky, Keto Bars, Stoka bars, and F-Bomb nut butter pouches.
Help support Savage Fuel and spread the word that Fat is your Friend with our exclusive shirt and mug! Featuring a couple of irresistibly cute butter buddies with plenty of colors to choose from.