Cooked vegetables are a great fit for the ketogenic diet. They absorb fat and flavor like a sponge, give your meals volume and crunch, and are nutritionally dense (nutrition per calorie). You can throw some fish or meat on top of them and let them soak up the flavors or have them as a side dish with salt, pepper, lemon, and butter.
Using this method makes it easy to always have cooked vegetables ready. With each large batch requiring less than 3 minutes of hands-on time including clean up.
Hands-on: 3 minutes
Total: 10-15 minutes
- Cut vegetables into sizes that will all finish cooking at roughly the same time (you may need to cut vegetables like cauliflower and red cabbage into smaller pieces than broccoli because they take longer to cook. I highly recommend riced cauliflower, saves a ton of time not having to chop it up.)
- Put vegetables in the glass baking dish and add about a 1/2 of a cup of water (this will help all the vegetables cook evenly)
- Microwave for 10-12 minutes depending on the power of your microwave, what kind of vegetables, and the size of the pieces
- When done cooking take out with two oven mitts, carefully remove lid and watch out for the steam, then use your serving spoon to load up your storage containers
- Cooked vegetables should last about 3-5 days in the fridge so freeze extras if you don’t plan on eating them before then
- Cut vegetables that take longer to cook like cauliflower and red cabbage into smaller pieces so they finish cooking at the same time as faster cooking vegetables like broccoli
- I recommend not seasoning or adding anything to your vegetables so you can use them with any dish
- I find it easiest to add leafy greens first then other heavier vegetables on top to squish them down
- For cleanup I just rinse the glass dish, storage containers, and serving spoon with water, you’ll get some white mineral build up but I personally don’t mind
Help support Savage Fuel and spread the word that Fat is your Friend with our exclusive shirt and mug! Featuring a couple of irresistibly cute butter buddies with plenty of colors to choose from.