At the time of writing this post I’ve been on the ketogenic diet for over five years and logged over 250 blood ketone tests in an effort to estimate the effects of food and ingredients on my ketosis, including those in Quest Hero bars.
I think keto dieters naturally gravitate towards protein bars like Quest Hero bars looking for a convenient sweet treat that won’t kick them out of ketosis, but are protein bars the right place to look? In this post, I’ll evaluate Quest Hero protein bars, give them keto friendly grades, and see how they stack up to other low carb treats!
Savage Fuel Keto Friendly Grades:
- A: Completely compatible, positive or no impact on ketosis.
- B: Highly compatible, but don't go too crazy.
- C: Moderately compatible, be mindful and limit intelligently.
- D: Barely compatible, detrimental to ketosis and not recommended.
- F: Not compatible, overdo it just a little and kiss your ketosis goodbye.
Keto Friendly Grading Factors:
- Net Carbs per Serving: How many carbs are in this thing?
- Net Carbs per 100 calories: Since serving sizes often vary significantly, a net carb per 100 calorie ratio is a more consistent measure of keto-friendliness than net carbs per serving. Lower ratios are also an indicator of higher fat content because fat has more calories per gram than protein and carbohydrates.
- Sugar: Sugars have a higher glycemic index and larger negative impact on ketosis than other carbohydrates.
- Hidden Carbs: Hidden carbohydrates are based on the caloric values and glycemic indexes of ingredients sometimes classified as fibers or sugar alcohols.
- Easy to Overeat: Some foods are easy to over-eat and require extra willpower to limit overeating which is an important factor to consider.
- Nutritional Density: Foods that are relatively high in net carbs per 100 calories but are high in nutrition per calorie can still be worth eating like broccoli and cauliflower.
Quest Hero Bars Keto Friendly Grades:
Overall factors: Each of these bars has 10-11g of fiber primarily from soluble corn fiber. I'm going to go with Keto Connects estimate and count 10% of soluble corn fiber grams as net carbs, adding 1g of hidden net carbs per bar (included below in net carb counts and factored into grades). Also Quest Hero bars are low nutritional density and easy to overeat.
- Chocolate Caramel Pecan: D
5g Net carbs per 200 calorie 60g bar
2.5g Net carbs per 100 calories (Orange)
- Blueberry Cobbler: D-
5g Net carbs per 170 calorie 60g bar
2.9g Net carbs per 100 calories (Orange)
Quest Hero Bars Keto Friendly Conclusion:
In terms of keto friendliness, Quest Hero bars are very similar to their Quest bar brothers. Unfortunately this means that neither of them are very keto friendly, but thankfully there are much tastier and significantly more keto-friendly sweet treats out there. If you're like me you don't want protein bars for the protein, you want them for a quick treat that won't kick you out of ketosis. So let's compare Quest Hero bars to some real keto-friendly sweet treats:
Quest Hero Bars vs F-Bombs, ChocoPerfection, Nui Cookies, and Keto Bars
As you can see, when comparing Quest Hero protein bars to the best keto-friendly treats out there by net carbs per 100 calories, which is the most consistent indicator of keto friendliness, there is no contest. So in conclusion I recommend going with more keto friendly sweet treats, like ChocoPerfection, Nui cookies, Keto Bars, and F-Bomb pouches. My personal favorite is still ChocoPerfection, it gets an A- keto friendly grade and an A+ in taste from me.
They have a lot of great flavors too, dark and dark mint are my favorites and Raspberry is the only flavor I don’t like. The dark mint with a handful of macadamia nuts tastes just like thin mint cookies. You get the classic mint chocolate flavor with the salty and crunchy macadamia nuts, it’s my favorite ultra low carb dessert.
If you’re interested in trying some I’d recommend getting the variety pack and a pack of the dark chocolate so you can try all their flavors and still have more of the dark which you’re going to like anyways. They have free shipping in the United States too which is sweet. For more expertly curated and guaranteed keto friendly products check out the Keto Shop!
Help support Savage Fuel and spread the word that Fat is your Friend with our exclusive shirt and mug! Featuring a couple of irresistibly cute butter buddies with plenty of colors to choose from.