At the time of writing this post, I’ve been on the ketogenic diet for over five years and logged over 250 blood ketone tests in an effort to estimate the effects of food and ingredients on my ketosis, including those in Quest Protein Cookies.
Quest protein cookies are one of Quest Nutrition's more promising keto friendly products to date but just how keto friendly are they? In this post I'll evaluate Quest protein cookies, give them keto friendly grades, and see how they stack up against similar keto friendly treats!
Savage Fuel Keto Friendly Grades:
- A: Completely compatible, positive or no impact on ketosis.
- B: Highly compatible, but don't go too crazy.
- C: Moderately compatible, be mindful and limit intelligently.
- D: Barely compatible, detrimental to ketosis and not recommended.
- F: Not compatible, overdo it just a little and kiss your ketosis goodbye.
Keto Friendly Grading Factors:
- Net Carbs per Serving: How many carbs are in this thing?
- Net Carbs per 100 calories: Since serving sizes often vary significantly, a net carb per 100 calorie ratio is a more consistent measure of keto-friendliness than net carbs per serving. Lower ratios are also an indicator of higher fat content because fat has more calories per gram than protein and carbohydrates.
- Sugar: Sugars have a higher glycemic index and larger negative impact on ketosis than other carbohydrates.
- Hidden Carbs: Hidden carbohydrates are based on the caloric values and glycemic indexes of ingredients sometimes classified as fibers or sugar alcohols.
- Easy to Overeat: Some foods are easy to over-eat and require extra willpower to limit overeating which is an important factor to consider.
- Nutritional Density: Foods that are relatively high in net carbs per 100 calories but are high in nutrition per calorie can still be worth eating like broccoli and cauliflower.
Quest Nutrition Protein Cookies Keto Friendly Grades:
Overall factors: 1g Hidden carbs per serving/cookie from soluble corn fiber (10% of total estimate), low nutritional density, and easy to overeat.
- Chocolate Chip: C
4g Net carbs per 250 calorie 59g cookie
1.6 Net carbs per 100 calories (Yellow)
- Peanut Butter: C-
5g Net carbs per 250 calorie 58g cookie
2 Net carbs per 100 calories (Orange)
- Double Chocolate Chip: C-
5g Net carbs per 240 cal 59g cookie
2.1 Net carbs per 100 calories (Orange)
Oatmeal Raisin: F
9g Net carbs per 250 calorie 63g cookie
3.6g Net carbs per 100 calories (Red)
Quest Nutrition Protein Cookies Keto Friendly Conclusion:
Quest Nutrition protein cookies are one of Quests more keto friendly products, compared to their Quest Bar brothers they have more fat, less protein, less fiber, and more Erythritol (all good things). Better than Quest Bars is still a pretty low bar (pun intended) to hurdle, so how do these cookies stack up against their keto dessert competition?
First let's compare Quest protein cookies to their closest competitor: Nui cookies which all have lower net carbs per 100 calories, more fat, less protein, and no hidden carbs (again all good things). Nui Cookie's highest net carb per 100 calorie cookie is still lower than Quest Nutrition's lowest (see chart below). Nui used to be called Keto Kookie and having the keto diet in mind when creating these cookies really shows.
Nui Cookies vs Quest Cookies Net Carbs per 100 Calories
While we're on the subject of keto friendly desserts, let's throw a few others in the ring for comparison. My personal favorite Chocoperfection's dark chocolate bars and Keto Bar's Dark Chocolate Coconut bar clock in at an ideal 1 net carb per 100 calories, both of which are delicious and I highly recommend.
Alternatively if you're interested in baking your own cookies Good Dee's Chocolate Chip Cookie Baking Mix sits at a solid 1.4 net carbs per 100 calories putting it too below Quest Nutrition's Chocolate Chip Cookies.
In conclusion, Quest Nutrition's Protein Cookies are not terrible but there are much more keto friendly desserts out there like Nui Cookies, Chocoperfection, Keto Bars, and Good Dee's Chocolate Chip baking mix. For more expertly curated and guaranteed keto friendly products check out the Keto Shop!
Help support Savage Fuel and spread the word that Fat is your Friend with our exclusive shirt and mug! Featuring a couple of irresistibly cute butter buddies with plenty of colors to choose from!