At the time of writing this post I’ve been on the ketogenic diet over five years and logged over 250 blood ketone tests in an effort to estimate the effects of food and ingredients on my ketosis, including those in So Delicious Dairy Free Coconut Milk Non-Dairy Frozen Dessert with No Sugar Added.. quite the mouthful of a product!
Everybody likes ice cream, and it can be very ketogenic friendly like Dave Asprey’s “Get Some” ice cream but homemade ice cream is a lot of work. Is there a keto friendly store bought option for an easy ice cream fix? In this post, I’ll evaluate So Delicious' line of no sugar added ice cream, and give them keto friendly grades.
Savage Fuel Keto Friendly Grades:
- A: Completely compatible, positive or no impact on ketosis.
- B: Highly compatible, but don't go too crazy.
- C: Moderately compatible, be mindful and limit intelligently.
- D: Barely compatible, detrimental to ketosis and not recommended.
- F: Not compatible, overdo it just a little and kiss your ketosis goodbye.
Keto Friendly Grading Factors:
- Net Carbs per Serving: How many carbs are in this thing?
- Net Carbs per 100 calories: Since serving sizes often vary significantly, a net carb per 100 calorie ratio is a more consistent measure of keto-friendliness than net carbs per serving. Lower ratios are also an indicator of higher fat content because fat has more calories per gram than protein and carbohydrates.
- Sugar: Sugars have a higher glycemic index and larger negative impact on ketosis than other carbohydrates.
- Hidden Carbs: Hidden carbohydrates are based on the caloric values and glycemic indexes of ingredients sometimes classified as fibers or sugar alcohols.
- Easy to Overeat: Some foods are easy to over-eat and require extra willpower to limit overeating which is an important factor to consider.
- Nutritional Density: Foods that are relatively high in net carbs per 100 calories but are high in nutrition per calorie can still be worth eating like broccoli and cauliflower.
So Delicious No Sugar Added Ice Cream Keto Friendly Grades:
Overall factors: No hidden carbs, low nutritional density, and very easy to overeat.
So Delicious No Sugar Added Ice Cream Keto Friendly Conclusion:
Earlier in my keto-career I used to pick these up every now and then and they were responsible for bumping me out of ketosis more than once. Honestly So Delicious No Sugar Added Ice Cream is still the most keto friendly store-bought ice cream I've come across but it's still not keto friendly enough for me to buy it anymore. Especially when there are other delicious and way more keto friendly desserts like ChocoPerfection, Nui Cookies, and Keto Bars, see how So Delicious Ice Cream compares here:
So Delicious Ice Cream vs ChocoPerfection, Nui Cookies, and Keto Bars
As you can see, when looking at net carbs per 100 calories which is the most consistent indicator of keto friendliness, So Delicious Ice Cream is just no where near as keto friendly as ChocoPerfection, Nui Cookies, and Keto Bars and they all satisfy my sweet cravings so I just go with the ones that have no negative impact on my ketosis so I can still feel great the next day.
If you're going to try any of them my personal favorite is ChocoPerfection, it gets an A- keto friendly grade and an A+ in taste from me. They have a lot of great flavors too, dark and dark mint are my favorites and Raspberry is the only flavor I don’t like. The dark mint with a handful of macadamia nuts tastes just like thin mint cookies. You get the classic mint chocolate flavor with the salty and crunchy macadamia nuts, it’s my favorite ultra low carb dessert.
If you’re interested in trying some I’d recommend getting the variety pack and a pack of the dark chocolate so you can try all their flavors and still have more of the dark which you’re going to like anyways. They have free shipping in the United States too which is sweet.
For more expertly curated and guaranteed keto friendly products check out the Keto Shop!
Help support Savage Fuel and spread the word that Fat is your Friend with our exclusive shirt and mug! Featuring a couple of irresistibly cute butter buddies with plenty of colors to choose from.